[Aside]Have been wearingly busy these last few days trying to cap a crucial month close, and what with a planned fly-by-wire trip to India to perform my Mom’s (peace be upon her) Shraadh ceremony[/Aside]
Today,at lunchtime, I got a call from a junior at IIFT, Archit Tiwari – absolutely ecstatic at having made it through to Olam in the lateral placements and , boy, did that take me right back to the same moment almost three years back !!
I remember that:
- I’d joined IIFT with Olam as one of the companies in sight as far as placements were concerned
- The idea was to focus on academics, rank among the toppers of the batch. Do a lot of club activities on the side( I enrolled for every club bar Koshish and that coz there was a cap on number of clubs we could join in our times), and spend two years gearing up for Olam !!
- That idea went for a toss so early into my IIFT stint that it wasn’t even funny.I remember that in the run up for the IMF elections,when I finally decided to file my nomination for post of President, my wife (then Fiancee) specifically asking me why I wanted to stand for elections when that wasn’t what how I’d planned my two years [ though heart of hearts I could sense she wasn’t too upset with my change of plans 😀 ].
- I ended trimester one ranked 93 out 93 students on Delhi ( oh the reasons for that are hilarious, and embarassing!). NO topper by any stretch of imagination that!!
- After I got elected President, a fantastic story in its own right – one that I can and have only shared in its entirety with my wife and of course my fellow IMFers, I’d most given up any hope of coralling any good placement, but then the philosopher in me took over and I warrior-ed on..
- During finals, I made it through Olam, and a weird feeling subsumed me. One that really wondered how two paths entire worlds apart culminated in the same thing (a path I imagined that lead me to Olam, and an entirely real life track that again ended up with me making it to Olam )